Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ahoy Matey!

It's been a crazy weekend with lots to do as family has come to visit! The nautical nail theme has been quite popular lately, so I decided to have a go at it. I've seen some marvelous designs, some elaborate with great details or some multi-colored ones. However, I wanted something simple but still cute so I opted for this design.

Indoor with sunlight streaming in
















Outdoor with sunlight @ the beach
















This is similar to the pink french tip I posted early but with a slight variation. I painted the tips blue with a stripe polish, then added 2 white lines near the top of the nail after. I finished it off with CND Effects Sapphire Sparkle to give it a shimmery effect that is similar to when the sun hits the water during the day. To finish off this nail design, you can opt to draw an anchor on one of your fingers. A tutorial for drawing anchors can be found at my friend's site here. I just drew mine freehand and added a jewel at the top.

The blue tips needed 2 coats, but I think 1 coat would do if you had a more opaque polish. One trick I learned to paint tips that I will share with you here:
1) Take the brush and hold it vertically near the tips of your nail
2) Start on left side of your nail
3) Rotate your FINGER left to right while holding your brush in the same spot
*This example is for painting your left hand, do the opposite for steps 2 and 3 when painting your right hand*

All done! :) You'll be surprised how straight it comes out and how easy it is to do. Hope this helps! Thanks for reading!

PS- starting from today's post when you click on the image, it'll appear bigger in a separate window
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! Your tips are very neat; I can't get mine like that without nail guides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!! You did a great job on the blue. And the anchor is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment :)