Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Water Marbling































From left to right: Sephora by OPI Leaf Him at the Altar, OPI Russian Navy

Lots of school stuff going on right now, so I'm going to post a nail design I attempted some time ago. I had watched a youtube clip on water marbling, and I was intrigued to try, so I decided to go for it. I used
JOE Fresh Mint as my base coat. The nail polish line from Joe Fresh is relatively new and I am pleased with the range of color they have. Aside from this color, I picked up 2 other ones as well. These are formulated without the use of formaldehyde, toluene, DBP or camphor. The application of the polish was quite smooth and it is well pigmented. However, the brushes are short and stubby making application a little more difficult, but at $4 a bottle, you really can't go wrong.

Water marbling my nails was quite the experiment. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it, but after you do, it is relatively simple. However, be warned: it's time consuming. I'll post a tutorial soon on how to water marble, but for now I will give you a few tips to make your life easier:

1)Test which nail polishes will work (float and disperse) - most OPIs do
2) Use warm distilled water
3) "Cleanse" your water if you see floating pieces of nail polish after a while (To cleanse: Drop a drop of nail polish and drag it to the sides of the cup, after a few seconds, it should harden and you can use a toothpick and take the whole piece of nail polish out. Voila! Your water is clean again.)
4) Alternate the colors you want until you have around 8-10 rings for best results
5) ) For easy cleanup: tape around your cuticles with scotch tape before you dip your finger in OR cover it with cuticle oil and then wipe off after
*for this mani I taped my around my cuticles, will try with cuticle oil next time*

Water marbling is so unique as you can make each nail look different (or the same if you're really skilled!) while keeping with the same color scheme. I will definitely try this again for a more refined look next time. Until then, thanks for reading!
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. This looks great! I haven't tried water marbling yet, but I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Zara: that was quick! You should try. It's more fun than frustrating. I'll post a tutorial soon in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you did a great job!I'm glad you just used two colors..some people use like a million and it's a hot mess!!Great job.I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good!! I've tried water marbling a couple times and they were ALL big FAILS! I'm going to have to try again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment :)